The DGMF e.V.
The „Deutsche Gesellschaft für Medienwirkungsforschung e.V.“ (DGMF) was founded in
summer 1995 as non-profit association. Experts from media research and media practice were looking
for a new presentation and distribution platform of empirical research results in communication and media science.
According to the initiators, especially the rapidly growing field of empirical quantitative research needed
continuous discussion inside and outside the scientific community.
The promotion of empirical research in the media field, as well as public enlightenment concerning the media effects are therefore central aims of the statutes of the “Deutsche Gesellschaft für Medienwirkungsforschung e.V.”. This purpose of the statutes shall be realized by concrete means of facilitation of media effects research (organization of conferences, congresses, and symposia; facilitation of publications, etc.) and by increasing public relations that shall serve the information and enlightenment about this socio-politically important research field.
Thus, the tasks for the DGMF are
- Facilitating the diffusion of media effects research results in the general public and thus make a contribution to competent media use.
- Providing advice to questions concerning media use and media effects in research and application.
- Contributing to the study of psychological and social factors while applying and using media.
- Improving the quality of media effects research by taking further means that support the quality assurance in the field and that contribute to a continuous progress of knowledge.
- Holding conferences, congresses and symposia, initiating publications, and taking further suitable means to intensify the exchange between the involved scientific disciplines and to facilitate the dialogue between media research and media practice.
- Cultivating the scientific exchange of views inside and outside Europe.
- Cultivating the image of media effects research beyond the scientific field in the general public.